Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Chuck Lorre Productions, #505

I am a HUGE Chuck Lorre fan. The Big Bang Theory is my numero uno favorite comedy on TV. It's one of the few shows that make me laugh, rowdy and raucous, when I watch. Even the reruns still crack me up. But perhaps one of the best things about Mr. Lorre is his wickedly snarky "Vanity Cards" at the end of each show. They're only visible for ONE second (literally!) but, thanks to DVR technology, we can now pause and read. I LOVE them. Really I do. This particular one, after Monday night's BBT show, is a terrific example of why I think Mister Chuck Lorre is the most brilliant SitCom writer of our time. He is also my writing hero. I'm sharing this today because...well...it just seems to suit the vibe going on 'round here.

{Did I mention that more often than not the things he writes about are things I've often thought?...except that I don't have his brilliant way with words. Or his command of Snark. Alas! There's always tomorrow....}

"It seems to me that the biggest, most momentous choice of our lives is the one that none of us gets to make. I'm talking about the decision to be here, to be alive. Now before I digress into the choice of leaving this life, a subject best suited for notes left on the bed stand, let's investigate the initial premise. Simply put, we all arrive here screaming, crying, and covered in goo, without prior consultation. Or so it appears. If in fact we were part of the decision to become cognizant, the memory of that process has been completely wiped from our consciousness. But what if it were retrievable? What if we could become aware of the primary decision to live, the fateful choice to participate in the world of time, energy, and form? Wouldn't that improve our daily condition? No matter how difficult and confusing life was, we would always be clear on one thing, "I asked to be here. This is my choice." Of course, there's another option to consider. We are here against our will. The unending cycle of birth, life and death is a sentence. We are souls in prison. But that grim, Matrix-like scenario falls apart the minute you ask how hell on earth could possibly include gelato."

Chuck Lorre, will you marry me?

P.S. I'm pretty sure there are copyright laws about reproducing this stuff. I'm hoping though, that Mr. Lorre and his production company will forgo the lawsuit in exchange for a little ego stroking. Not that I don't mean it when I say I love him. I do. But the whole lawsuit thang is a bit daunting, doncha think?


No comments: