Friday, May 20, 2011

doin' the happy dance....

Sometimes the biggest thrills come from the littlest things. Like when you figure out how to use a new software program. Or manipulate photographs. Or create your very own logo for T-shirts. That kinda stuff just thrills the bejeebers outta me. And every single time I do something like it, I find myself clapping hands and dancing around my office like a crazy person who'd lost their mind...and then found it.

Fun stuff.

As you might expect, I spend a great deal of time on my computer. While I may not be the "Tech of Techies", I'm pretty good at figuring things out. For the most part. But on occasion, there are those programs that just confound the hell out of me. One such program is called Gimp, which is very similar to PhotoShop...without the price tag. Because I don't use such programs with any regularity, they can be quite the challenge for me. So when I have a project and I have to learn some new-fangled thang...and then I get it done...it is always a thrill for me.

As in dancing around like a crazy person....

Every now and then I get asked to do some creative work for people who are completely not of that realm. I always love those invitations...especially when they are for causes that inspire me (and, ultimately, others). When I was asked to do this one, I said "absolutely". And then...I realized that I was going to have to start from scratch. Not that it mattered. But it was a little daunting at first because I was going to have to use that program which I had not used in a while. As with any other 'language', if ya don't use it ya lose it. Such was the case today.

After a few hours and a whole lot of re-reading ("help" sections) I finally figured it out and got it done. Which is when the dancing and clapping and halleluiah-ing began. I was just so tickled with me-self. But the real celebrating was after I sent the finished product to the gal who asked for my help. She was pretty over-the-top with awe. To me, it wasn't that big a deal...insofar as the finished piece. But she just thought it was some kinda Holy Camoly because I'd done it entirely from her verbal description (as opposed to having some kind of visual starting point). It was then that I realized just how much Joy I had unearthed. For all of us. Like I said...

FUN STUFF.

Anywhoooooo....I'm not telling you this to toot my own horn. I'm telling you this because it seems to me that there are a whole lotta thangs we can do that will fill the Joy Cup even more. You just gotta keep that as your reason for Being. Know what I mean?

So today's little message is this:

It doesn't really matter what it is. It doesn't matter if it's life changing or world changing or even just a moment's worth of change. If it's something that causes you to dance around with glee, it's worth doing. Every time. And it leads me to one more little curiosity....

I wonder just how many do not make the time to do such things. Because it seems to me that there are still far too many who walk around with scowls on their faces and big, black clouds of doom hovering over their heads. I want to go up to those people and ask, "When was the last time you did something just for the fun of it?" But then...I know what the response will be (more often than not); I also know that there are some folks who just want to be in that space and my nosey ass isn't going to make a dent. So, mostly, I just say a silent prayer for 'em and send out a whole boat load of love.

Maybe they'll feel it.

Maybe they won't.

But either way...it ain't gonna hurt either of us.

Just for today (or tomorrow...) how 'bout you make some time for you...and dance around like a crazy person who just found their lost mind.

Here's to your next Happy Dance.


No comments: