Friday, September 15, 2017

Lessons From The Critters

Some prefer a Tarot deck. Others look to their bible. Still others prefer to consult tea leaves or astrological charts or colorfully clad gypsy women. All perfectly beautiful ways to seek meaning and clarity in one's daily adventures.

I lean to Animals. I have always found their company more akin to my own energy. Since I was a small child, I had an enormous capacity for feeling them. I remember, quite vividly, screaming at my cousins when they would torture snakes and birds and other creatures they'd captured in our yard. I would run to my mother and "tattle" on them, pleading with her to make them stop. I'm sure they hated me for it. I didn't care.

To this day, I have a strong connection to The Creatures {Critters, in my lingo}. All of them. Although I have my "favorites" there isn't a single genus I find even remotely distasteful. Unless we're talking about parasites. But then, I don't put them in the same category as "Critters".

But I digress.

One of my favorite finds is a book by Jamie Sams, a Native American woman who shares the teachings of various Tribes throughout the world. The book is called, simply, "Medicine Cards". It came with a set of cards, much like a Tarot deck. Each card has a beautiful illustration of an Animal, and in the book, a correlating description/story of this Animal and its meaning. Most of the stories begin with the teachings of The Elders, as they relate to the Animal's gifts. A fascinating and illuminating way to see each Creature. Each one has something to teach us. If we will listen. Some would call it "divination". I see it as a way to learn more about my Self by way of my connection to The Critters.



Besides all that...it's FUN!

Anyhooooo....

Any time I come across a Critter that is a bit out of my "norm", like that beautiful snake a few weeks back or, more recently, the tarantula that made itself comfy on my bathroom vanity the other night, I go to my Medicine Cards book and look up that Critters' lessons. It's a way for me to spread my wings. And prevent stale thinking. And stretch consciousness. AND have some fun!

{The snake who came to visit... a non-venomous California King who does a fine job of catching the rodents who make a mess in my tool shed.}


{The tarantula that parked itself on my bathroom vanity, apparently to find a bit of water. Or maybe it liked my soap. Another quite harmless Critter, although a bit of a startler when one is not expecting it. He was quite cooperative when I trapped him under a bowl and walked him outside. Praise Pan!}


Now....I'm guessing that there may be a few of you who think I'm out of my mind. The fact that I would get close enough to photograph that snake or capture a tarantula to walk it outside to safety may be a little more than you might be able to brave. But here's the thing: I LOVE them. ALL of them. And unless a Critter is going to do harm to my dog, or myself, I will do everything in my power to bring it to safety and let it BE. Why shouldn't I? They deserve to live as much as any of us do. AND...they were here first.

The reason I began this whole missive was twofold. I wanted to share with you Jamie's book AND a little about the way that Critters affect my world. BECAUSE if we are to spread our wings, and stretch consciousness, and BE who we are, we must first identify what works for us. And then...DO THAT. 

Wishing you MORE of all that you ARE.

Cheers!

P.S. Jamie has a wonderful website, as well as several other books available for your learning pleasure. You can find her books on Amazon, as well as various other used books sites. She also has quite a selection of gatherings, workshops, etc., should you be so inclined.











No comments: