Saturday, July 11, 2009

allies

In an earlier post, I offered a little "poser" {see "just one thing"}. Since I was asked the question, I've been giving it a lot of thought. My response was "the beliefs that limit me". It's those beliefs I've been considering. What are they? How many of the beliefs I hold are actually my own? How many of the beliefs that I hold today are actually a result of things I was led to believe when I was a kid?

Now, before I go any further, I gotta say that I don't buy the whole "it's all my parents' fault" crap. I'm a grown woman and it's up to me to decide what I do and don't believe. My parents did the very best they knew how. They gave me (& the rest of my siblings) large love and plenty of terrific memories. I do not hold them accountable for any so-called neurotic tendencies I may carry today (& trust me when I tell ya, there are plenty enough of those too...giggle). I figure that since they weren't provided a manual on how to best raise their children, they just flew by the seat of their pants and did the best they could. They did a fine job.

So, since I don't blame them or anyone else for who and what I am today, the only person left is me. It's all my doing. With this as my perspective, it would then mean that since I'm the Mistress of my Kingdom, I must decide what to keep and what to dismiss. When it comes to beliefs, those are as important as any to review, evaluate and weed when needed. That question my friend asked led me to visit this again. The tricky part is figuring out the 'limiting' part. Cuz it's not always clear. Well...not to me, anyway.

Here's what I came up with: being the organized little imp that I am, I decided I'd start by really paying attention to the pesky little chatterbox in my head. The voice that always has some kind of comment about stuff...like whose turn it is to do what chore or how somebody else did said chore. That critical, sarcastic voice that thinks 'it' knows it all. VERY annoying.

But there just may be a way to use that chatterbox to uncover those limiting beliefs. I think of "it" as the voice of my Ego. Ego is a very frightened child. Always trying to keep Me from growing and stretching and letting go of things I don't need. Ego can't help it...but I can. The larger part of Me is neither afraid nor inflexible. Quite the contrary. That Me is the Mighty Explorer. Kinda the Jean Luc Picard....'to boldly go where no woman has gone before....'

I figure if I just keep paying attention to that pesky chatterbox, it's going to unveil a bunch of those limiting beliefs. So I'm going to make it my ally, instead of fighting with it all the time.

Why not?

You can get a whole lot more accomplished with an ally than an enemy, yes?

No comments: