Sunday, January 1, 2017

Toodle-ooooo!

I've spent the majority of the past week watching football. Yep. 'Tis true. My favorite week of the year is that between December 25th and January 1st. More football in those seven days than the previous month. And I do love me some football.

What has this to do with the last day of the year?

Well, let's just say that having read every post on this blog from the past SEVEN New Year's Eve posts, I thought it might be a good time to change things up a bit.

I'm kinda cool on change these days.

That hasn't always been the case.

Wasn't too long ago that I was mighty big on avoiding change. In any form. Change is a thing most humans avoid like the flu. Or lima beans. Or stinky sneakers. Most folks just don't like change. Mostly, I think, because change means one must stretch in ways that may not seem doable. Else, it's fear of the unknown. Or maybe some unconscious dab of laziness. Whatever the reason, I have found that change is not something most folks are big on.

Seems kinda weird to me.
But then...who am I to say?

I used to be a Human who tackled change like a kid with a brandy new two-wheeler without the training wheels. Fearlessly. With nary a thought of failure. BRING IT ON.  Somewhere along the way though, I, too, began to resist change. I wanted things to feel "safe". I wanted all the people I loved to be here forever. I wanted to stay where I was and not have to think about what was coming. How that happened is a ginormous mystery to me. One thing is certain, though.

I do not like this aversion to change.

It seems to me that Life without change is about as safe as a driving a big rig on an icy road with slick tires. Life IS change. Being scared of change seems counter-intuitive somehow. So when I got wind of my own aversions I immediately set to changing that too. I made a conscious choice to embrace change. To welcome it with open arms. To be giddy with anticipation instead of dread. And while it hasn't always been an easy road, it's certainly more fun. Which leads me back 'round to the point of this New Year missive:

A new year implies new beginnings. A new start. Another chance to reset and get focused on those things that matter most. A way for us to redefine our Life's purpose and/or tune it up so that it might run a bit more efficiently. Which is likely why so many people make resolutions. Lose weight. Work out. Stop smoking. Find a new job. You know the drill. And if that works for you, that's terrific. I've never found any semblance of success with those methods, so I simply stopped. I opt for a more broad perspective. Like....

Just for TODAY, I will be kind. I will look for something new to learn. I will make time for a walk with my dog. I will nourish my body with foods I enjoy and nourish my soul with songs of gratitude. When I approach the "new year" in this way, I find far more success. I live the moments of my days with more gusto. Because, when it's all said and done, LIFE is always lived one moment at a time. If we can live it in Joy and Gratitude, all the rest will take care of itself.

Or so I've heard.

Happy New Year.
I hope you live this one with wild abandon.

CHEERS!


No comments: