Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Don't Ask, Don't Get

My daddy used to say this all the time. Mostly when I'd be all pouty about something my mom had said no to. Like the time I wanted a new Sting Ray for my birthday. Mom told me no. Said I already had a bike. I argued. She resisted. Hence, the pout. So daddy asks me what's going on. I won't tell him. He says, "If you don't ask for what you want, you'll never get it."



That's just one example of the many times he said those words. It stuck in my brain....for all these years.

After I moved away from home, and began navigating my way through the "real world", I relied on this little nugget. A LOT. If there was something, anything, I wanted and couldn't get on my own, I'd just ask. Whomever was in a position to make it happen. I'd simply ask. And you know what? More often than not, I got what I asked for.

Like this one time....

My husband and I belonged to a bowling league. (don't roll your eyes at me!). There was a woman there who was quite the snappy dresser. One of those gals who spent her husband's money on clothes and shoes and loads of jewelry. Most of the other women in the league disliked this little woman. I thought she was a HOOT. She made me laugh. And she was always very sweet to me. One night, as everyone was arriving for play, she walked into the bowling alley wearing this SUPER cool mesh shirt over a shimmery bodysuit. The shirt was the color of a sunflower. The bodysuit was black. She had on black jeans and these strappy high-heeled sandals. She looked aDORable! When she came over to say hello, I gushed over the outfit, specifically the shirt. Then I said, "I think you should give it to me!" And that adorable woman took that shirt off, right there on the spot, and gave it to me! I thought she was joking, so I handed it back. She said, "NO! You'd look great in it. I'll buy another one. Take it. Go on. Take it." I did.

(For the record, I still have that shirt. And I still wear it. No kidding. Makes me smile every time I put it on.)



Anyway, the point is this:

If you don't ask, you won't get.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of putting it "out there" for the Universe to hear. A vibrational invitation, if you will.

"OHHHHH! I'd really like to have one of those!"

Arms open, raised to the sky. Eyes closed. Smiling mugg. Trusting the Universe to deliver.

Other times....you just have to ask...anybody who'll listen. Pride aside. Just ASK.

So....here it is:

Christmas will be here in a snap. Shop early. Beat the rush. This wrap has my name all over it!


                               Indian Wool Peacock Wrap
{if you click the pic, you'll be taken to the NatGeo site, where it is available to purchase. and...if you need my address, you can contact me HERE. See how easy it is?}

P.S. I DID get that snazzy StingRay bike. For Christmas. That same year! Thank you, daddy!)




No comments: