Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What'd I Tell Ya?


If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times....{uh-oh. did you just hear your mother's voice? that is NOT where we're heading. so take a breath and let's start over....}

I think I've said it a thousand times. Maybe only 673. Either way, I've said it a bunch. You get what you focus on. Or, thoughts become things. Or...what is it you DO want?

These days it's pretty easy to get all tangled up in the Loud of Life. There are so many flippin' distractions that it could drive any sane person crazy. If you're already crazy to begin with...well, that's a whole 'nother ball game. Point is, there's just wayyyyyy too much going on and if we're not careful, we can get sucked under like the giant slurp from the Titanic's last breath. 

{Aside: it is said that many lives were lost because those in life boats were afraid to go back for those in the water lest they be "sucked under". Tragically, that was not what would have happened because when the Titanic finally disappeared into the frigid waters of the Atlantic, there was very little undertow. Just a little more useless information from the Queen of Trivia. Gee. There's a minute and a half you'll never get back. Aren't you glad you stopped by today?}

ANYway...

We were talking about getting sucked under. With all the distractions. And noise. And inanities that we call "modern life". Lots of folks do (get sucked under, that is) but there are those who use the technologies we have afforded to us in the ways they are meant to be used: to facilitate our lives, NOT to overrun them with junk we don't need. They use them to focus on what matters most, get things done more efficiently, and spend more time doing all the things that float their boats. 

{Aside number two ~ do you see a pattern developing here? Oh good. I was sure I'd lost you.}

A few weeks back I shared with you the latest book by my favorite Muse, Jill Badonsky. I kept that one pretty short and suggested ya'll go grab a copy because it is so fantastic I couldn't bare the thought of you not having it. About a week later I told you about the darling Robin Rice and her sensational Self. Also a Muse of mine. Also a fabulous human Being. In short, I've been sharing stuff that has me all fired up because I'd made up my mind that this was the year I'm going to DO instead of THINK. Not that I won't think too. But the theme here is to focus, and these ladies are gems for that sorta thing.

Then....yesterday someone shared yet another Genius Being who has, yet again, rocked my happy world with her stunning gift. Her name is Nikki. She has a blog called Fridaville. And this blog....well, lemme just say that if you have any kind of passion for the written word in its highest form...you might like to click on that link and have yourself a look around. I am telling you: she's A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Now, I realize that "awesome" is subjective. You may think that Bob Dylan is a great singer or that The Simpsons is a funny show or that neon green is cool to wear with checkered pants and a screaming orange pair of granny boots. From where I sit you would be wrong. 

{One last aside. I think. ~ BOYHOWDY! She sho' is feelin' frisky today!}

All I'm saying is, you've probably been here before. And if that's true, you've decided this place is fun enough or good enough or mindful enough for you to keep coming back. So, in that regard, we have similar tastes, yes? 

{Okay. This really IS the last Aside ~ if you HAVEN'T been here before, please don't let this be the only piece you read before leaving, never to return. The flavor here is ever-changing, but always leads us to choosing joy. That is, after all, the name of this place! Okay REALLY. I'm done with the Asides.}

So if we have similar tastes, then it might very well be worth your time to cruise on over to Fridaville, grab a cup of coffee or tea or whatever it is you sip on, and have a little set-down with this marvelous lady. You may just find your own Muse there.

Now I really am going to get to the point of this long-winded and somewhat noisy meandering: I made up my mind to focus on those things that would best nudge me along on my Creative Path. One by one, little by little, the "stuff" that nudging is made of keeps showing up. In the form of women I'm inspired by. And little surprises in the mail. And old friends I haven't seen in years. And more than I can even remember right now. LOTS of clues that the Universe is, indeed, listening. And answering. And loving us every single minute of every single day.

All we gotta do is FOCUS.

That is all.

{see? no more Asides. maybe there really IS a god.}

No comments: