Sunday, January 5, 2014

This thing that drives you....


Never apologize for your passions. NEVER. If you get a giant kick out of sitting on a rooftop tossing stale bread to pigeons, then go sit on the rooftop and toss away. If you get a kick out of scraping gum off the undersides of booths in diners, then scrape away. If you lose yourself every time you find litter on the street and get to pick it up and throw it in a trash can, well I say clean on! It doesn't really matter what floats your boat; just so long as it's floating. But for Pete's sake....don't apologize for it!

I am a firm believer in synchronicity; so perhaps you were tossing this out into the Universe yesterday or when you woke up this morning or when you told your boyfriend that you wouldn't be going to dinner at his folks' place because you were going to watch the game with your girlfriends instead. Or maybe this just came to you out of the blue (no such thing, if ya ask me) but whatever the case, I am compelled to offer it up. Just for you. And for me too. Because the truth is, I offer up stuff that matters to me as well. Kind of my own little house cleaning. When I write, it clarifies. It is always with the intention of helping you too. Always. But I don't just write stuff for no good reason.

There is always a reason.

Today, when I woke up, I realized that there were a host of people who'd made a host of excuses to other people while I was within ear shot. Each time I heard these Apologizers, it was all I could do not to scream out, DON'T! DON'T DO IT! I didn't, of course. But I sure did want to.

Why is this such a big deal? Why would I care one way or the other if someone made lame-assed excuses to not do what someone else wanted them to do and ignore what they wanted to do? Who am I to say that these people shouldn't make excuses or apologize for their passions?

Well. I'm glad you asked.

It matters because there are just not enough people on this planet who are actually living their bliss. You don't need me to tell you that. Just look around. Everywhere you will see people with scowls on their faces. They're crabby and obnoxious and plain ugly to everyone around them. They're freakin' miserable. Why? Because they're doing what everyone else says they should be doing and ignoring what makes their hearts sing. They're going to dead end jobs, eking out a living, all in the name of social pressure. They forgot all about that thing, whatever it was, that they just loved loved loved doing when they were kids. Those things that made hours turn into seconds. Those things that made them happy all the way down to the bone. Those things that they were born to do. They gave it all up because somebody who really mattered told them that it would never work. That they would never, ever be able to paint or sing or dance or act or teach or fly or ride the rodeo or rescue horses or have ten kids and do it successfully. They heard those naysayers for so long that they buried that dream and fell right into the depths of a madness that society calls "being a responsible adult".

It's an outright outrage.

So the next time you hear yourself apologizing for something that absolutely brings you to heaven, just STOP. You now have permission to do what you want, for as long as you want, without guilt, regret, or remorse.

If they ask you why, just tell 'em I said so.




No comments: