Monday, October 21, 2013

the only reason you need


When I was a young lass (I just love the word, "lass"), my very first boyfriend sent me a dozen red roses. I was eighteen at the time and had never gotten roses from anyone, let alone a gorgeous man who said he loved me. I was completely blown away. It wasn't my birthday, nor was in Valentines' Day or any other "special" occasion. My first thought was, "why?". Then I opened the card. It read:

Just because.

Now I was even more blown away. Who was this guy? How did I get so lucky? Talk about romantic.

That was a very, very long time ago, yet, I still remember how it made me feel all these years later.

Just because.

I carry that little card around in my head, seeing the words, feeling the feelings they inspired. I smile every single time. I am also quite aware that those two little words carry over into my life in a huge way. Sometimes when I am feeling a bit Less Than {definition: Less Than All That I Am}, I will recall those words and do something nice for someone. Or send out a card. Or make an apron and mail it to a friend. Or call someone I love and tell them a dumb joke. Or let the pissy lady at the store get in front of me at the checkout line. Or tell the mother who looks haggard from all those kids yankin' on her just how beautiful her smile is. Or...well, you get the point. I do these things


{WHUT? You think they don't get tired?!}

Just because.

Because they feel good. To me and to whomever is on the other end of the thing. Because it's really fun to watch someone light up. Or hear them laugh. Or know I made their day, however small the gesture might have been. You see, I don't believe there's any such thing as altruism. I think people who claim to be altruistic are either full of shit or ignorant. Because of all the many people I've met in my life, I've never met a single one who didn't do those nice things for at least one selfish reason: it feels good.

Just because.

Maybe it feels good because we are all, way deep down, kind people. Or maybe it feels good because we know that if the shoe was on the other foot, we'd have some good karma to rely on. Or maybe it feels good

Just because.

But no matter how you look at it, there is always a reason to step out and do something nice. Even if that reason is

Just because.

After all, there's really no need to explain yourself to anyone, is there?




No comments: