Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An adage here, an adage there....

Got to thinking about those lovely little adages about how we can change our perspectives when the ol' proverbial poop hits the pile. Things like,

"It's just the next chapter in your life."
or
"You cannot begin a new chapter until you turn the page."
or
"The game ain't over til you toss in the towel."

You know the ones?

I thought today would be a terrific day to remind you (and me) about those handy little mental memos, just in case you'd forgotten. Mental memos. I kinda like that. Like little PostIt notes you can stick on your brain for that moment when you need them most. Your very own personal assistant...in your head. Kinda cool, huh?

The whole thing started when I got up this morning and realized that it was going to be another scorcher of a day. The temps here have been over 100 for the last week, making it quite challenging to do just about anything. Africa hot. Sahara hot. Hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. H-O-T. So hot that even the Bruze doesn't want to go outside til after 6PM. He'll go out first thing in the morning, then give me the "no thank you" look when I ask a few hours later. "Do you want to go outside, Bruze?" The look is clear as words. NO THANK YOU. Gotta love that. But the little fella has made it quite clear that it is just too danged hot to pee! I've got to hand it to him; he sure does know how to minimize his energy usage when it's this hot outside. He just lays on his bed or on the kitchen floor (nice, cool tiles) and chills. I put a little fan on the floor next to his bed with a big bowl of ice cubes in front of it. He seems to enjoy that very much. Spoiled? Nope. Just taking care of the boy who takes such good care of me. But I digress....

As I was saying...the whole thing started when I realized it was going to be another scorcher of a day. I got up, closed all the windows, drew the blinds closed, and took a quick shower. A cold shower. Which cooled me right down and made it more tolerable to fire up the stove top to make my coffee. As I was waiting, I got to thinking about how differently I react these days. Or rather, respond. I seem to have moved past the the whole reactionary way of doing things...which is to say, I am no longer a big bomb with a short fuse. Don't know exactly when it happened, but I do know it is a fairly recent switch. Recent, as in the past few years. Lots has changed in these last few years. And one of those changes is my new-found ability to stop for a few moments before I react. I think. I mull. I ponder. I breathe...I give my Self a chance to voice an option before I "go off". The good news is that I feel a million times better. The bad news is that sometimes I feel kinda boring. But that's probably just the Ol' Ego trying to gain back some measure of control. Poor thing.

The funny thing about all this is the way that I can actually hear those adages and get them now. I get the whole idea of letting go. And moving on. And letting what was be and what is be and what may be...come when it gets here. The best thing about that? Less stress. Less volatility. More ease. And near as I can tell, EASE is what it's all about. Ease of movement. Ease of moment. Ease of ME.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if you're still all wound up like a storm-whipped clothes line during a full-fledged hurricane, it might serve you to cut that sucker loose and let it fly. You can always get another one, you know? Hence the adage...

"....let it go...."


No comments: