Tuesday, December 13, 2011

WeTopia

I've never been big on playing games on the computer. Aside from my morning crossword puzzles, that is. I do those to get my brain awake...and keep it firing on all cylinders. Always have. Even before computers. But recently Ellen (Degeneres, that is) brought something to my attention and I just had to go see for myself.

Turns out the folks who put this dandy little game together had a whole 'nother thing in mind. The objective: to actually HELP PEOPLE around the world. Imagine that. So here's how it works:

For every "point" you score, you are actually earning JOY (now if that doesn't just thrill me to pieces, you don't know me at all!) And once you've earned 100 Joy Hearts, you can send them to various organizations who then send food, books, water, and all sorts of other stuff to places they're needed. There are all sorts of different categories from which to choose. As with most games of this kind, the more you play, the more you earn. Get other people to "neighbor" and you help each other along too. It's just the COOLEST THING EVER!

Another by-product of playing this game is that for the first time since I began using FaceBook, I am actually allowing "strangers" to befriend me (and vice versa). I guess you could say I've always been a bit paranoid about allowing people I don't know into my little realm there. But this game changed all that. Because I figure if they're wanting to help out, why not befriend them too? What's that saying...."a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet." Go figure.

Anyway, it's pretty wonderful to know that even if we don't have lots of money to send to those in need, there is still a way to do it. For those of us who have more time than money, it sure does feel good to know that because I spend a little time playing a game, some kid in a third world country is going to have fresh water and food. I LOVE that!

So I thought I'd put it out there. I thought maybe you might like to help too. And...if you're so inclined, be sure to send me an invite. I'd LOVE to play with you too!

For the link to the WeTopia FaceBook Page, GO HERE.

No comments: