Thursday, July 21, 2011

fun, funky, not-so-common words (just for the fun of it!)

One of the funnest things about doing what I do is finding new words and using them. Even the word "funnest" is fun, doncha think? I'm one of those people who keeps an actual dictionary on her desk. The kind that weighs about 15 pounds and is bound in real leather. It's a little old (1994), but it still "works". Particularly when one wishes to find the origin of words and the actual proper way to use them. Online dictionaries are not so thorough, nor do they include many words that were used once upon a time. Even Merriam Webster (online) will sometimes spit back a word, saying "no such word found". Which is why I keep my old-fashioned tome on my desk. When I have a lull in creative action, I'll open it up and read through a page or two, looking for words I've never heard of. I know. Weird, huh? What can I say? I love words.

To that end, I happened upon a page just the other day (on the net, not in my book) that really grabbed my attention. And, in the name of "props" (a more modern-day word, which happens to suit at the moment), it must be said that I found this page of "amusing" words by way of the Merriam Webster site. I was in one of my stutters, unable to come up with a topic for a piece I was supposed to write for one of my current clients, so I stopped to investigate the "word of the day" on the MW site. Which then led me to the piece; which leads me to this meandering. Since I know that many of my "followers" are also writers, I thought it'd be fun and fitting to share some of what I found.

(Just so you know, not all of the words to follow were from that piece. Some are words I just like...words that make me giggle or grin or flat out crack me up.)

Tomfoolery: silly or foolish behavior; buffoonish antics.

Shenanigans: tricky or questionable practices used especially for underhanded purposes; high-spirited or mischievous activities.

Lickspittle: a fawning subordinate; a suck-up.

Snollygoster: an unprincipled but shrewd person (think "politician")

Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown it is wrong.

Hobbledehoy: an awkward, gawky young man.

Pettifogger: shyster; a lawyer whose methods are underhanded or disreputable. (I'll forgo the jokes here...)

Hinky: nervous, jittery, suspicious.

Cockalorum: a boastful and self-important person; a strutting little fellow.

So there you have it. New old words that may just spice up your vocabulary in an otherwise bland and/or boring exchange. {So what if people don't know what the hell you're talking about?!}

Gigglin' all the way ~~~~


No comments: