Thursday, June 16, 2011

something unusual...

I don't often do the recipe thing on this blog but on occasion I just can't resist. Especially when it's something so easy and so fabulous. So, before I retire from the keyboard today, I'm going to share this with you. I'm telling you....E-A-S-Y and super-delish.

I am fond of baking whole chickens. Mostly because I can do lots of stuff with them after I've finished my meal. Like making stock and chicken salads and such. A $5.00 chicken can last me for about 6 meals. No kidding. Yesterday I was in the mood for something cold and refreshing. Just so happened that I had about half a chicken (meat) left. Rummaged through my pantry and came up with this:

Pull the chicken from the bone (remove skin) and then cut into bite-sized pieces.Add a couple handful of craisins, a couple of handful of walnuts (or whatever kinda nuts you like; pine nuts are also super tasty), about 8 leaves of fresh basil, chopped in slices, and some cherry or grape tomatoes.

In a separate bowl, mix together the juice of one lemon (preferably a good sized lemon; otherwise use two), about 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (yes, I'm serious. Just wait...) a dash of salt (I use sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper. With a small whisk or fork, whisk in about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Pour the dressing over the chicken and goodies; mix well to coat. Refrigerate for about an hour (to let the tastes "blend"). Serve over your favorite salad greens (I used Arugula; I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVE Arugula!). For an extra-added yumbonus, warm some Rosemary bread and slather with butter to go with.

YUM YUM YUM!

P.S. Please note: every single thing in this salad is GOOD for you. And there is virtually NO fat (unless you count the "good" kind from the nuts). Your body will thank you.

No comments: