Friday, February 25, 2011

JUST STOP!

...."well, my life is really great...except for this one thing...."

Ever hear yourself saying that? Ever notice how there's that one pesky something or someone that just keeps you from ultra-appreciation? Ever notice how that one thing wants to take over all your other thoughts?

Me too.

And then I heard something that made so much sense, I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it myself.

"Well, just stop thinking about it. Never speak of it again. Just STOP."

hMMMMMMMM.....

Of course my brain wanted to argue the point. "...but how do I do that when it's poking me like a thorn in my foot?"

Just STOP.

"but they just won't leave me alone."

Just STOP.

"BUT....."

JUST STOP!!!

Turns out this is a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. Note that I'm not saying "DON'T think about it." Because there is a vast difference between the two. One is a 'negative' command, which the brain does not register. In other words, when you say "don't do such-and-such", your brain only hears the "such-and-such"; NOT the "don't". Think about it.

Let's say you're about to remove a delicate glass globe from the ceiling fixture so you can clean it. You climb the ladder, unscrew the fasteners, and say to yourself, "DON'T DROP IT!"

KA-BLAMMM! The instant you think the thought, that beautiful glass globe falls right outta your pretty little hands and shatters all over the floor.

Ever do that?

Me too.

BUT...if, instead, you say to yourself, "I'm going to remove this lovely treasure and carry it down the ladder and clean it and put it back up easy as can be."

That is a whole different thought. See what I mean?

So then...back to the point. There's that 'thing' that's buggin' the crap outta you. With a little practice, every time it jumps into your brain you say, "I'm just going to think about something else for now. I'll deal with that later." Turn your attention to something that makes you smile. Turn your attention to something you're happy about. Just turn your attention elsewhere. Pretty soon that thing that's been annoying your for so long isn't going to be a 'thing' at all. Pretty soon (and honestly, it doesn't take long at all!) is going to be in the wind forever. Because as you train your mind to go elsewhere, that thing that began as a huge thing suddenly becomes a NOthing.

Just try it. I'm tellin' ya....



IT WORKS!

No comments: