Monday, August 23, 2010

growing humor


What is it about people that makes them think you need to be saved? What is it that makes them so adamant about convincing you that what you believe is utter nonsense, or blasphemous, or absolutely leading you to the devil's doorstep. (Who IS this devil anyway?) How is it that these very same people will go on and on (and on and on) about their god...but will not remotely consider yours?

I've often wondered about such fanatics. I've known many. Seems like they have some kinda radar that brings them round to my world where they shove all kinds of books, tapes, movies, etc., etc., ad nauseam, at me with nary a hint of an ear for "no thanks." In fact, in recent months there have been people who actually stopped and pulled off to the side of the road as I walked with my dog, to give me their 'new' bibles, claiming that the King James version is 'antiquated'. (but "sin" is not. HUH?)

Now, don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in the credo, "to each his own". I feel that everyone has the right to their beliefs and if it floats their boat, makes them a better person, and helps them expand the love, then good for them. What I don't believe is that they have a right to tell me how to think, believe or otherwise practice whatever it is I'm into. If I want to jump around naked and beat on a drum, who the hell are they to tell me it's wrong? If I want to dance with trees or sing to the birds or paint weird shit on my face, who are they to tell me I shouldn't do such things? Furthermore, the whole idea of fearing this god they speak of makes me wanna puke. Ya mean I'm supposed to be scared of this 'dude'? Say again?

When I was a kid I used to ask the nuns about this whole fear thing. They, of course, thought I was under the influence of the 'devil' and would immediately call my mother to advise her of my imminent path to hell. My mother would then sit me down and ask lots of questions about why I would ask the nuns such things. Lucky for me, she actually listened. She did not fear for my soul or demand I believe in her beliefs. She simply kept the lines of communication open well enough for her to monitor where I was 'going'. Her only concern: whether or not I knew the difference between 'good and bad'. She let me fly my own way and, I'm quite certain, said loads of prayers on my behalf. She did a fantastic job that way.

For years after I left the church, I studied many different philosophies, both religious and otherwise. I was simply awed by how so many people could buy into such beliefs, particularly those that preached fear. I just didn't get it. Still don't. If this god is so omniscient, omnipotent, and all-loving, why in the world would it need for us to fear it? Fear has nothing to do with love. Right? Well anyway, there seem to be a slew of folks who are, apparently, fearing for my soul (again). They're comin' out of the woodwork and doing their best to bash me over the head with their god-fearing tenets. Add to that the whole "the world is coming to an end. You'd better seek salvation now before it's too late." thang...and it's enough to make a girl go running through the streets (naked, of course) screaming like a lunatic.

Or maybe...

It's the All That Is telling me to grow my sense of humor.

I'm choosing humor on this one. After all, Life is ALL ABOUT CHOICES (grin)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I just say, "Amen"?

Hugs
Mother Connie (NOT a nun)

Ana Paula said...

Dear Camille I want to buy your book, but Im from Argentina, do you know how can I do? I'll give you my mail so that you can answer there.
Thanks, you are an important peace of my life. Thanks, again.

anarodriguez_89@hotmail.com