Tuesday, June 23, 2009

fugm

It's easy to get all twisted when things come flyin' in at you. Regardless of what those "things" are, the trick is to look 'em straight in the eye and ask right then and there... "what can I do about YOU right now?" If the answer is 'nothing'...then why not just let it go? Why do we always torture outselves on this crap, worrying and fretting and carrying on about what we coulda, woulda, shoulda done. It just makes no sense! It's that whole "worse case scenario" mentality. It's enough to drive ya crazy.

I had some dumb crap come up just yesterday. I got some 'news' in the mail that was NOT to my liking, and I immediately felt my Self get all tight. That icky feeling in my gut. That flash of "OH NO! WHAT NOW???" By the time I'd walked from the mailbox back upstairs to my house, I was all a-twist. And then...

I walked by a mirror, saw the look on my face, and had to laugh. OH BROTHER. THERE YOU GO AGAIN. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? STOP IT. RIGHT NOW. JUST STOP.

That was it. In less than 3 minutes I'd managed to toss that crap out the window, with a belly full of giggles behind it. There was only one thing I could "do" about that little piece of mail, so I picked up the phone, made the required call, and threw the paper into my 'tomorrow' basket. This morning, when I made my way into my office again, I made another call, left the required message, and tossed it back into the basket again. No anxiety, no pressure, no worries.

It's one step at a time. Deal with whatever ya gotta deal with and then let the shit go. Why make it more of a problem than it is? Cuz ya know what? More often than not, (at least in my experience) all the "shit" gets handled WITHOUT the worrying part. One way or another, it gets handled. And since I have no crystal ball to see the outcome beforehand, what's the point in trying to figure it out? NONE. No point whatsoever. So...as my roommate is fond of saying

FUGM.

No comments: