Sunday, April 5, 2009

so you think it's nonsense

I know there are plenty of folks out there who don't believe in the Universal Laws. Many call it a bunch of "mumbo jumbo" hype ever since "The Secret" was released. Small wonder. So many others have latched on to the coat tails of those who produced the film, in an attempt to make their own fortunes with programs, home based businesses, etc. Can you blame them? It's all the rage and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

But don't let the hype fool you. Even if you don't believe such Laws exist, doesn't mean they're not working. Doesn't mean they're not an active part of your life. Kinda like gravity. You don't even have to think about whether or not it 'works'. It just does. I find it oh-so-amusing that people (gazillions of them) believe that a man named Jesus died on a cross to pay for our 'sins' and then rose from the dead. Yet those same people refuse to even consider whether or not the energies we expel return to us. Case in point: I once sent a book to my aunt, who proclaims herself to be "born again", about the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda. If you're not familiar with him, he was the fellow who, back in the early 20th century, actively began to integrate Eastern and Western philosophies. He started what is now known as the Self Realization Fellowship. Brilliant man with beautiful visions for humanity. He did not ever attempt to dissuade people from their Christian teachings, or any other teachings for that matter. He merely presented the idea that we could use them all. ALL of the religious teachings were/are valid since there is only one god. How one chooses to honor that god is up to them. He was a man way ahead of his time. A man filled with god-love and love for all living things.

So I sent her this book, so she might see that although I don't follow her tenets, I am certainly not at the mercy of the "devil". (She fears for my soul, since I have not "accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior"). The moment the book arrived in the mail, she opened it, probably read the preface and immediately returned it to me, saying that she just could not read "such things".

HUH?

Well, being as I am, I realized instantly that my 'pushing' her to read it, or even arguing the point, would be the same as her insisting that I accept J.C. in the manner which she's been taught. So I dropped it. I thought, "well, whatever makes her happy is all that matters. Live and let live."

The reason I bring this up is because I happen to live with someone who also 'poo-poos' the whole idea that there are Universal Laws at work and they affect every part of our lives. He thinks it's all a bunch of phooey, without a stitch of merit. Okay. So? So...because of his own beliefs (or rather, lack thereof) he continues to spiral into the abyss, without an iota of accountability. He blames everyone and everything for his current circumstances, never for one moment considering that HE is the one who has created his reality. The saddest part of this is that, given his passive-aggressive tendencies, he attacks anyone who challenges him in any way, size, shape or form. Guess who gets the brunt of that crap. Yep. That would be me. Only because I live here and I'm the only person he has any contact with most days. Well, it's really not that difficult to manage, most days anyway. Because I see it and I know he just can't (or rather, won't) help it. So I let it go. Mostly.

Sometimes, however, he gets a little nasty. When he does, I usually zip my lip and paste a little smirk on my face so as to not engage. (my own egotistic self-defense mechanism...yes, I know). This, of course, infuriates him which then prompts more nastiness. Ultimately, what usually happens is I walk away, let it sit for a while, and then go back to tell him how sorry I am for upsetting him. This, in itself, is nothing short of miraculous, given the 'warrior' I used to be. To apologize for something, even if I'm not "wrong", is not something that comes naturally. But I do it because I know he's in pain and the only way he's going to get himself out of the snit is to acknowledge his worth. Is this my job? Nope. But it is my job to be as kind as I'm able...and that's what I try do when he goes there. Especially if it was me who prompted the exchange. In short, I take responsibility for my part, however small it may be.

Just a few days ago, one such exchange occurred. He immediately began attacking me (verbally) because he felt threatened by something I'd said. As soon as I walked away, I came up to my office and grabbed my journal. Rather than writing about the exchange, I began to list all the things he does that I truly appreciate. One of those things is that he takes the dogs (his and mine) to the dog park every day. The joy these critters display as they're getting ready to leave, along with the joy it seems to bring him, is really something to behold. It just tickles me to the bone. So, I sat down to write about this, instead of the other ickiness that had just happened. Right about the time I was finishing that entry, the phone rang. It was one of my dearest 'sisters' calling to tell me about a CD she wanted very much for me to have. She wasn't sure how to send the files from her computer and asked how it was done. Before we got to the instructional part, she began to tell me about the music. As it turned out, I already had the CD. I'd burned it before she left for Ohio some years back. She hadn't remembered that, and when I told her she started laughing like crazy. We both did. We laughed and giggled and she started doing her imitation of one of her favorite musicals. We laughed some more. In the end, both of us were filled with huge appreciation, one for the other, so that the energy of it could literally be 'seen'. It was the coolest thing.

I hung up the phone and sat there for a while, basking in the feeling of appreciation. My whole body was tingling and I was still laughing out loud. A few minutes later I realized what had transpired. In my sitting down to write words of appreciation for my life, I had summoned more. And then more came. Even after we hung up, that feeling grew. The more I allowed myself to stay there, the bigger it got. Within an hour, I was calling her again, to share even more of what had happened after the last call. And it grew more!

Now today, hours after that happened, I'm still basking. I'm still able to conjure those feelings of appreciation and feel the tingles run through my body. And the more I am aware of just how easily I can do this, the more 'proof' I have that these Universal Laws are, indeed, at work all the time.

You don't have to believe it. You don't even have to 'try' to manipulate it. But if your life isn't 'working' and all else has failed, what would be the harm in giving it a look? Cuz, as always, it's your choice. You can choose to be as happy or miserable as you like. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is, then it's up to you to do something about it. (or not...if you happen to enjoy staying in that icky place).

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments: