Monday, January 15, 2018

mustering faith

Have you ever noticed that when you're in a spot and you're looking for answers, people love to throw around the phrase, "have a little faith". They speak of this "thing" as if everyone knows what it is or how to have it. As if we all learned the secret to Faith and can call on it whenever we need to.

The trouble with Faith is that the more you need it, the less available it seems to be. Perhaps it is my aversion to all things religious. Or maybe it's because the only time I question this thing is, well, when I need it most. More often than not, when I hear someone utter those words, I roll my eyes and use every ounce of willpower I have to not punch them in the face.

{YIKES!}

So what is it, exactly? This thing called Faith?

I once heard Maya Angelou's son tell Oprah that his mother had "faith like a rock"; he added that he wanted to have that kind of faith but hadn't the first clue about how to get it.

I nodded my head in agreement.

I have friends who are deeply religious. Although I don't share their beliefs, it has never kept us from being and staying friends. We don't hold it against each other that our belief systems are different. There is no judgment or ill-will. It's the old, "to each his own" kind of attitude. A rare and lovely kind of bond.

I also have friends who claim atheism. I stand on that edge...ever mindful of my own meanderings when things get tough. How is it that I don't believe in the "God of Abraham", or any god for that matter, but when the shit hits the fan, my first thought is, "sweet mother of Jesus, HELP ME!"? I find this both odd and disturbing. Because when I scan my soul for those "core" beliefs, god is not among them. I find the whole idea a bit ridiculous. And a whole lot of other not-so-nice things too. Mostly, though, I feel like there's just too much horrible history about how "people of faith" and/or "God-fearing Christians" use(d) their interpretations to terrorize and kill anyone who didn't buy what they were selling. From the Crusades to the Ku Klux Klan, and all the rest in between, these people have used "the word of god" to enslave and decimate entire populations.

{See what I mean about "aversion"?}

So what is it about Faith that eludes those of us without religion? Is Faith exclusive to religious belief? Do you have to believe in some kind of god in order to have it? And what about the other gods? Like Odin and Zeus and Brahma and Pan {my personal favorite} and Gaia (did you know she was Thor's mother?), and Kokopelli (same dude as Pan but of Native American origins)? If I believe in those gods, does Faith still carry weight?

At this point, I think it would be a good time to quote one of my favorite Humans {in the whole Universe!}. Because...he kinda says it all with this Vanity Card (May 2013). His name is Chuck Lorre. He is my Genius. When I first read this one, I laughed a rip-snortin' laugh, got up to write it down, and made a note to write him a letter asking him to marry me. {Which I did. The very next day. And several times since. He has yet to respond despite dozens of proposals.}

"I've been thinking about becoming a polytheist. No, this has nothing to do with missing Battlestar Galactica. And yes, I realize my blasphemous notion flies in the face of a few thousand years of "Ye shall have no other gods before me." (To be honest, even when I was a kid that commandment troubled me. It sounded like a jealous girlfriend saying, If I catch you looking at other girls, you're in big trouble, Mister?" And don't get me started on how "no other gods before me" kinda implies that there might actually be some other gods loitering about.) But my main reason for considering becoming a Pagan (Pagish? Jewgan?), is that it neatly answers the age-old question, "Why does god allow so much suffering in the world?" When tragedy strikes, the monotheistic approach can only offer the tired old, "It is not for us to question god's will." Really? Why not us? Who else is in the questioning business? But look what happens when we ask the same question from a pantheistic perspective. Why do gods allow so much suffering in the world? Because outside of their particular area of expertise: farming, war, fertility, what-have-you, they are not even remotely in control. The buck stops nowhere. (In this scenario both the Old Testament and New Testament deities are off the hook as far as your general suffering is concerned.) But here's the really good news: with a polytheistic approach to prayer we can micro-target our beseeching. Trouble with love? Take it to Aphrodite. Not catching enough fish? Poseidon. Are you regularly waking up from alcohol-induced blackouts in the sleeping compartment of long-haul trucks that carry circus equipment and little people? That sounds like a job for Dionysus. Need your sitcom pilot to get picked up for the Fall season? Les Moonves. In other words, whatever the crisis might be, there's a god ready to take your call. What are you waiting for? Call now and receive a free goat-sacrificing kit! (Goat sold separately)"

And THAT, my friend, pretty much says what I think about the whole god thang. 

But it still doesn't answer my question: 

If you don't have Faith, where do you get it?


#joyzachoice #chucklorre #livinglivee #faith

No comments: