Monday, April 17, 2017

Bon Voyage....(again!)

And so, another trip 'round the Sun begins.

It's always a bit weird for me. This whole time thang. It doesn't seem possible that I have been on this marvelous Planet for six decades. But, according to the records, I have. Each time someone asks me, "How old are you?", I always need to stop for a moment to think about it. I even do the math in my head. Like somehow, it will make more sense if I do the math.

Weird, I tell ya.

So yesterday, whilst at my darling sister's home, watching her prepare the Feast, I said aloud, "Sixty. Can you believe THAT?" My sister said that she, too, had to do the math (she is eight years my junior) and the tone in her voice suggested a bit of bewilderment too. As if it weren't possible that I could be that age. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, despite her being the "younger" sister, she's always taken care of me as an elder sister would. Such is the makeup of our respective personas. She is much more the "grown up". I am...not so much.

Funny how that works.

Anyhoooo...

This morning, when I rose from my bed, it occurred to me that I was beginning yet another voyage 'round this fiery ball we call our Sun. And my first thought was, "Guess I ought to pack my bags." An odd thought first thing in the morning. But there it was. Pack your bags and get ready for another year-long adventure. Because now, that's what it is for me. An adventure. I don't know what's coming. I have no clue about the surprises around the next turn. There is no way for me to foresee the challenges OR the bounties that lay ahead. And, near as I can tell, that is precisely what makes it so much fun. The not knowing is no longer scary to me. Now, it is what makes every day feel like Christmas morning. What new gifts will appear, waiting to be unwrapped?

I've never been good at "long-term" goals. I used to try. Really I did. But somehow along the way I realized that I'm just not one of those people. I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal. In some ways, it's made for a pretty exciting Life. In other ways, it's been my curse. But no matter how I choose to look at it (and, let's face it, it IS a choice.), the bottom line is this:

I love my Life. It has been hard and easy and fun and scary and full of deep Love. For that, I will always be grateful. And what is to come...well, I'm happy not knowing.

That is, after all, the FUNNEST part of Life.




No comments: