Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Wishing You a Very ....

Merry Winter Solstice.

Happy Hanukkah.

Happy Festivus.

Happy Kwanza.

Pure Day of the Innocents.

Stellar St. Stevens Day.

Yummy National Syrup Day.

Sweet National Cotton Candy Day.

Stealthy Day of the Ninja.

Oh...and let us not forget..
Scrumptious National Cookie Day.

Did I miss any?

The list may not be all-inclusive, but it does lead me to the topic for today's meandering:

"POLITICAL CORRECTNESS"
{don't worry. I haven't lost my mind. take a breath. okay. ready?}

I am not a Christian. Although I was raised in the Catholic church, I realized the inconsistencies of that particular mythology long ago. Having spent decades researching both "religion" and "science", I've made my choices based on what feels like truth. To me. That being said, I don't believe that the man called Jesus of Nazareth was born anywhere near December 25th. There's far too much evidence to the contrary. But that's not the point.

The point is: Who cares? If people want to honor that beautiful man on December 25th, so what? What's the harm in Christians spreading their mythological cheer? Who is being harmed in the process? Is this some kind of life or death situation?

I say it's high time everybody get over the whole stupid mess of taking offense when somebody says Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza (which, for the record, is also a made-up holiday. Do your homework.), or WHATEVER. When folks are wishing you ANYTHING joyful, why not just accept it for what it is (a happy greeting) and be grateful for the good cheer?

Option number two is: don't accept that good cheer and stay in your Cranky Pants snit and live in your chosen misery. Because it IS. A choice. Do you think it matters one single hoot to somebody who can't feed their kids? Or won't have any semblance of a "holiday" in that cardboard box under the bridge? Do you think that the child with no mother cares about "political correct-ness"? REALLY? Besides, what has political correctness to do with holidays anyway? I realize that the whole concept of "separation of church and state" is a joke to begin with, but when did we decide that wishing good cheer to a person is something that must have conditions? Who started this nonsense? What makes you think that YOUR holiday, whatever it be, is more important than mine? What makes you think I give a shit about your definition of holiday cheer in the first place? (for the record, I do not.)

I think it's important to add my little aside here:
I do realize that this, my blog, is called "JOY IS A CHOICE". I also realize that this post is fairly lacking in both. However, there comes a time in a person's day when one must decide to speak up. Even if it means a rant that's left of center. Maybe it's better to offer it up and let folks decide. While it isn't my usual cheery missive, it doesn't mean it has no value.
Just sayin'.

Well then...back to topic:

I am more than tired of wimpy-assed people getting all worked up about the words they think "we" ought to use to spread good cheer. I believe that if those same folks would spend that same energy on stuff that actually matters (like that motherless child or the folks without food/shelter), we might all then come to what the spirit of the season is about in the first place.

It is meant to replenish the stores of "Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men".
{and if you even think that crap about my using the term "men", I'll throw my eggnog in your face.}

And...on that note...I'd say it's time I wrap this up.

Should we happen to cross paths and I happen to wish you a Happy Winter Solstice or a Merry Christmas or a Marvelous Monday, I suggest you be grateful for the well-wishes and carry on. It might just be the last time anyone offers you GOOD.

Ever think about THAT?

{a special thanks to the darlin' Andy Murray for sharing this glorious photo. Love and hugs to you and yours!}



No comments: