Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Why Do They Call It That?

Words. Where do they come from? How did they come to mean what they mean? Better yet, why do their usages change? Why do we call things what we call them? How come one word can have many meanings? 


For some unknown reason, I am fascinated by words. Don't ask me. I have no idea why. I think my fascination is one reason why I always loved George Carlin. That dude was a stickler for words. And not very forgiving when words are used incorrectly. 


I get that. 


This morning, while combing through my emails, I clicked on the Spam folder to scan before emptying. I do this because, occasionally, something will slip into the Spam folder that isn't supposed to be there. As my eyes scanned the list, I couldn't help but notice how many were about "cocks". Larger Cock. Enormous Cock. Grow Your Cock. Etc., etc., ad nauseam.


(Oh. And by the way. Apparently the spellchecker does NOT recognize the term "ad nauseam" because every time I type it, that little red underlining pops up. COME ON, PEOPLE! GET WITH THE PROGRAM HERE!


Okay. Rant over. 


Back to "cocks".


First off, why are these idiots sending ME emails about "cocks"? I mean, do women actually open such things? Do they think I'm going to click on their ad to "get a bigger cock" when I don't have one? It's just WEIRD. But weirder still is WHY we call a penis a cock. I mean...what the HELL? 


According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of cock reads as follows:


Definition of COCK:


1. a: the adult male of the domestic chicken (Gallus gallus)

    b: the male of birds other than the domestic chicken

    c: WOODCOCK

    d: archaic: the crowing of a cock; also cockrow

    e: weathercock


2. a device (as a faucet or valve) for regulating the flow of a liquid


3. a: chief person: LEADER

    b: a person of spirit and often of a certain swagger or arrogance


4. a: the hammer in the lock of a firearm

     b: the cocked position of the hammer


5. (usually vulgar) : penis


So....how'd we get from "the adult male of the domestic chicken" to "penis"?


What the WHUT???


Maybe I'm going on about all this because I spent all day Sunday watching football. And way too many of those guys have a disturbingly poor command of the language. Or maybe it's all this insanity with Mr. Orange Face. Or maybe it's that crazy Moon. Whatever the case, perhaps it's time for me to take up a new hobby.


Perhaps...basket weaving?

No comments: