Friday, February 11, 2011

just ask

My daddy used to say, "don't ask, don't get". I've always loved that expression. It's so very true. If you don't ask for what you want, it's quite likely you're not gonna get it. True story:

Long ago when I was still married, my hubbie and I joined a bowling league on the Naval base where he was stationed. {yes. I said BOWLING. Whut? Something wrong with that?...(grin)}. It was one of the funnest things I'd ever done. The fact that I was good at it helped a bunch. Not so sure I'd have enjoyed it if I'd been a crappy bowler. Anyway, there was one little lady who hailed from the Phillipines who was THE snappiest dresser. You could tell she spent most of her time in malls. Always dressed to the nines and just cute as a bug. She was a tad tinier than me, but we were pretty close in size. One night she came over to say hello and was wearing this darling yellow (yellow like a sunflower) crocheted top over a black spaghetti-strapped shirt. Just adorable. So I said, "I just LOVE that top. I think you should give it to me." And I laughed. Because truth be told, I was just playin' with her. Well, wouldn't ya know it; she ripped that shirt right off and handed it to me. I stood there, jaw-to-the-floor and eyes a-poppin'. I could NOT believe it. I stammered a bit and told her I was just kidding. She said, "Oh no you weren't. You want this shirt and I'm giving it to you. I have lots more at home. Just take it. It'll look great on you." Just like that. I asked. She gave.

I never forgot that. And from that day forward I decided that what my daddy had told me was right on. I still have that shirt all these many years later. And every time I put it on I think of both my dad and that crazy little lady who took her shirt off in the bowling alley and handed it over with a giant grin on her face.

THAT is what I call MAGICK.

No comments: