Thursday, October 14, 2010

who says we can't get along?

For as long as 'man' has written about prey and predator, there has been an ongoing belief that the two are destined to be separated by their instincts. Humans are classified as predators. Horses as prey. Cats as predators. Deer as prey. And the list goes one. The fact that humans and horses actually work together does not mean that there is an understanding, so to speak. Because, for the most part, it has always been about domination. That is to say, humans beat the shit out of horses until they do what they want. Truth is, it wasn't always that way. And now, as more and more people evolve, they are remembering what the original 'agreement' between the two species was: "I'll help you hunt if you'll keep me safe. You don't have to beat me into submission. I will work with you if you will work with me." (that's the horse talking, in case you missed it.)

Well....as a horsewoman AND a critter lover, I have always known about such agreements. Of all the horses I've ever had privilege to know, I've never had a single one that caused me harm nor foul. Was it because they knew that I knew? Was it because they 'heard' me and I them? Can't say for sure, but what I do know is that even though they (the horses I've had in my world) were labeled as "dangerous, unmanageable, uncooperative", not a one of them ever was with me. Go figure.

I never used a whip, crop, or spur in my life. Most often didn't even use a bit. I prefer the horse and me...just doin' what we do, without the need for force or intimidation. It's always worked and I'm quite certain it always will...that is, as long as I don't try bullying the critter around. NOT A GOOD IDEA. It's about cooperation and communication. You can poo-poo all you want. I've lived it and I KNOW. Those critters could kill ya in a New York second (which, if you don't know, is much faster than an ordinary second) if they wanted to. But it's not in their nature. Problem is, most humans don't get that part. But I digress...

I'm not here to school you on horses or how to handle them. I'm here to show you what is NOT 'innate'. There are, according to "the experts", two species on this planet that kill for the sheer pleasure of it. Those two species? Humans and felines. Period. They are the only two that will kill just for the fun of it. Not because they're hungry or because they need warmth from a hide. Just for the freakin' fun of it. Makes me want to vomit every time I think about it. But...here it is...right in front of our puny human eyes: proof that it does NOT have to be.

I'm just sayin' ....


1 comment:

anarodriguez_89@hotmail.com said...

Olivia I would love to read something new from you. Im having a ruff time, it s all psychologically (not something particularly) but Im quite sad and you used to make me feel better...