Monday, June 15, 2009

The Muse is in the house. She seems to have found a comfy little spot and she's not budging. And I couldn't be happier about that. I used to think only "special" people got to have a Muse. Then I realized that either that's a bunch of malarkey, or I AM special. (HA! Who knew?!) Elizabeth Gilbert says that you just have to show up. And if the Muse doesn't do her part, then it's on her, not you. I kinda like that. I'm here. I'm showing up. I'm doing the work. So don't go blaming me if the Muse doesn't show up. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Here's the thing: it doesn't really matter what your "art form" is. Creativity is not something that you can go buy (one of the few things, huh?). Creativity is a part of each and every one of us. And it's not really hard to tap into it either. All it takes is a little patience, a lot of trust and a boatload full of playtime. Ya GOTTA play! I didn't know that...until very recently.

Turns out, the more I play, the more that Muse wants to stick around. Apparently, she likes to play too. Cool. The other thing I just discovered is that it doesn't go away. The creativity, that is. It's not something you can lose. Really it's not. Lots of folks are scared of that part. They think that if they don't do this or that every day, they're gonna wake up and POOF! just like that, their creative juice will be gone. That's just silly. Where the hell do you think it's gonna go? What...you think it's like all those socks that disappear when you wash them? Like maybe they have some secret island they go live on, where nobody wears socks? Silly.

I'm thinking that all the time I spent worrying over silly stuff like that was really just my way of hiding. I was scared. Of my genius?! I don't know. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. What's done is done. All I know is, life is terrific. Even when you're down to $4.37. It's still terrific. Cuz when it's all said and done, even that $4.37 isn't going to help when your ticket's up. Might as well enjoy the ride, ya know?

No comments: