Thursday, April 30, 2015

DE-Evolution?

Most of you who've been here before know that I am not averse to technology. I love having a lap top. I'm really enjoying my iPhone. The marvels of the Internet still amaze me. Yet, there is one thing about our technology that bothers the shit outta me. It is this whole "new language" stuff. Worse than that is how each new idea seems to encourage less and less words. Twitter limits you to 140 characters. If you know how to use all the "popular" abbreviations (think "LOL", "OMG", etc.) you can make your point within those character limits. Then there's the texting thing. Nobody wants to talk on a phone anymore. It's all done with texting which, in my personal experience, has NOTHING to do with efficiency. I've watched people text back and forth for hours on end. How is that efficient??? It seems to me you could make the phone call, say what you have to say, and get the hell off the phone in less than FIVE MINUTES. So what's with the texting craze? Are we really that "busy" that we can't pick up the phone and take care of whatever it is we need to take care of? How about a phone call just to say "I love you. Have a great day! See ya ~~~"

Nope. Ain't happenin'.

It appears that as technology advances, we, as a species, are DE-evolving. Rather than evolving, we are moving backwards. The proof is in the words, or rather, the GRUNTS we use to "communicate". When I read those texts or Tweets or whatever else there is to send a message, I imagine our distant relatives, Neanderthal. They didn't use words. They used sounds, grunts, and facial expressions to communicate.

And that, my friends, is where we are NOW. Grunts and Emojis. Really? You call that communication? Is this how we are "evolving"????

Nope.

I don't think so.

I'm still looking for the Joy in this whole fiasco, so please forgive me while I continue my search. In the interim, please know, I AM still Blossoming....and appreciating....and sending large love to YA'LL.

Really I am.

(and I REFUSE to say any of it with abbreviations. You can "LOL" all you wish. Count me OUT. And, NO, that is NOT an abbreviation.)



No comments: