Monday, December 18, 2017

Chuck Lorre Productions

Thank you, Mr. Lorre.

{I'm still waiting for your answer to my marriage proposal.}

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #575

Back in the sixties when Star Trek debuted, you couldn't help but notice that the bridge of the Starship Enterprise was a multi-cultural, multi-national, multi-intelligent species sort of arrangement. It portrayed, to my impressionable young mind, an inevitable kumbaya, pluralistic future. It's only lately that I've come to understand how naive that world view was. I now see that human nature, particularly during times of stress, becomes tribalistic, not pluralistic. Which is neither good nor bad. It's probably just how we're wired, a survival mechanism baked into our DNA. Under pressure, the prime directive is to protect the tribe. Genetically, that makes perfect sense. Human beings without a tribe tend to starve or get eaten. Now I don't want to cast aspersions, or "throw shade" as the kids like to say, but I would like to point out one thing I find painfully obvious: He's not in your tribe. He's not in my tribe. In fact, if you look closely, you'll see he belongs to no tribe. And he never really has. Make of that what you will.

No comments: